Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Wrapping up the trip!

Ok..last day, I promise!

Saturday. We had just conquered Disney for a whole 5 days, and now it was time to visit Knott's Berry Farms.

Mike and I had gone for our honeymoon, 13 years ago, so it was nice to be able to see what had all changed since we were last there.

I think they do a good job keeping it country themed, and I can see how they take the time to keep that aspect in the park. I appreciate that about these family owned parks.

I am not going to lie..seeing the Supreme Scream drop from the freeway was a little shaky for me. I had let Mike talk me into going on it when we were there last, and I swore I would never, ever do it again. That thing is pretty scary, so I think it speaks for itself. You slowly climb these towers with your legs dangling, all of the way up..I think it is 300 something feet high. You get to the very top, and it acts like it is going to drop you by doing a fake out drop..and just when you get your barings, you FALL. So, I can see how Matthew would love it, being that he loved Tower of Terror so much. It was right up his alley. He had no qualms going on that ride, and he didn't even say goodbye to me! HA! He was back in my arms in an instant though.

Erm,....

If I could plan this trip again, and we were going back to Knott's again, we would go mid-week, and during the same week we were doing Disney. We chose to have this be the last part of our trip, and I think it made it such a comparison place for me. We just weren't in our Disney Bubble any longer. I don't want to dog on it because it does have thrill rides, and Disney is themed rides, but if I am being fair here...Knott's has gone downhill. There. I said it. I just couldn't get over how grungy everything felt. I am not being a snob. I am being a protective parent. It just had a sleezy vibe to it at some parts..like walking through their carnival game area, I wouldn't want my daughter to go through wearing cut off shorts..(but then, I wouldn't allow her to, anyways!)

I loved their strollers they had. They were big, and smooth, and they were a breeze to stear around. They were also so cheap to rent! Loved that!

In regards to rides, Kate got the short end of the stick, and was always 2 inches too short to ride anything. Their version of the rapid ride, they wanted her to be 4 inches taller, and it was MELLOW. It was not even a ride you got wet on, and there at Disney, it was CRAZINESS. But, I dig it. I digged their safety factor.

The bathrooms were un-air conditioned. They hire a woman to stand in them, mopping the water off the floors from the sinks splashing. She goes up and down the stalls all day long, till shift change, sweating her ass off, and with it being as HOT as it is there, and not having air conditioning, it was gross. I felt terrible for her, and the other women that had bathroom mopping duty in each of the bathrooms--it was like walking into a HOT port-a-potty each time you wanted to go--enough said. I wanted to go and wet some paper towels, and fold them and rest them on my neck, but they don't stock paper towels there. Just the air dryers, and toilet seat liners that disintegrate at the site of water. I kept thinking with the ladies mopping the floors so obsessively, if it was due to a lawsuit that had happened in the past, and they have strict orders to keep any given drop of water off the floors? I was confused. And hot. lol

Most of the thrill rides were broken down, so we went to TGIFridays for lunch. Had never been to one before, and I like a good chain themed place to eat, and it was a good distraction of the hot day. Mike and I downed some ciders, and the kids napped happily in their booth. It was great to see them lay together so sweetly. After we had lunch, we went back and saw they had a Johnny Rockets there. I was bummed to have missed that place. We ate there once in Hawaii, and had such fond memories of eating there, drinking happy hour mai tais.

When we went back inside the park, more rides were broken down, so Mike went and talked to the manager of the park. I think he felt embarrassed that he wanted to take us there so badly, and here was this defunct park--kinda like driving all of the way to Wally World, and having it be closed. He came out of the managers office with a pamphlet of some sorts. Basically what they did was gave him VIP status to walk on all of the major coasters, and we wouldn't have to wait in line. He was happy that he was able to make it happen. I wasn't really too interested at that point, and I was more interested in seeing the white ginormous strob light that followed the sky--the light that comes from California Adventure that I could see all of the way at Knott's. I was depressed I think.

I just felt this pit in my gut, like--man..I felt like I had to watch my back the whole time at Knott's. It didn't have that safety feeling like you get when you are at the other parks. We never ever worried about our things in the strollers. I mean, of course you worry. Of course you are smart, and carry your cash in your zipped pockets..but at Disney, you can walk off, leave your stroller for hours with your backpack inside, and come back, see it moved a little bit from the cast members, and have everything still be there. Lessoned learned. :)

I mis-heard Mike say he wanted to ride one more ride, and I was thrilled. We were there late..it was about 930 at this point, and Kate wanted to ride the frog hopper over and over. I took her over, and was having fun with her, and then Mike said he was ready to try the other side of the park, and I was like, huh? Thought we were leaving? lol We stayed and finished a few more rides, and I got to tell you, I was watching the clock, knowing when that World of Disney store was closing..and as soon as we got on the freeway, I glanced at Mike, and he was like, "I know. Disney, huh?"

He dropped me off at the entrance to Downtown Disney, and I felt like I was back HOME! LOL! The party atmosphere was in full swing, and it just felt right! Walking amongst everyone, I felt safe, protected, just back in that bubble.

So, I had one mission. To get Mickey gloves, and knowing how far away that store was inside, I was fretting a little bit. I walked, and walked, and walked..and oh man did I walk!! But I saw the store, and it was open, and I may have even shed a tear..knowing I had made it in, and didn't have to worry about going before the flight the next day, I was ever so happy.

Not only did I get the gloves, they had Mickey ears for the furbabies, a couple of cool shirts, and some little things I had seen along the way..I got it all, and felt on top of the world. The kids were asleep in the car by the time I made it back..Poor Mike had to drive round and round Disney so that he didnt' have to have valet, and since they were setting up for the marathon, extra security was in full swing. I think my legs were like Jell-O at this point, but I made it back, and I was so happy. :)

We drove to the hotel, and as I was steering a very tired, head bobbing Matthew through the hotel parking lot, he asked me if I got his gloves. Poor kid must have been so worried still. I said, "Of course I did!"

We got up to the room, and he was so anxious to try them on, and once he did, he smiled. I did it!
The next day was Sunday, and it meant--time to go home. Sleeping in, packing and weighing suitcases, and repacking them again since they weighed too much, and then weighing again, and repacking them again. Good thing I had thought ahead, and paid for 2 extra carry ons to accompany us on the way home..but the liquids kept messing with me. Wet clothes kept messing with me. It was chaotic, but I know it is that way with everyone.
 
Made it to LAX in record time, thanks to the handy GPS, and when we got there, the rental car return couldn't have gone smoother. We found out flight was delayed 2 hours. Bummer. Got in the gate, and it changed to 4 hours. Kids didn't care. Kids sat there, plugged in, and sat on their butts and played their DS's, and did NOT complain once. Occasionally, Matthew would ask me what time it was now, but they were happy to be planted in a chair, and loved it. Best kids in an airport, ever.
It ended up not being that delayed. Got seated. Looked across the row, and who is sitting across from me? My PCP. LOL! He moved to the end of the row so that we could chat.
Awesome, awkward..amazing, and funny.
Mike asked me if I wanted a beer. Nope! I wasn't about to drink in front of him. Nope. No way. He is also Mike's doctor, btw..Mike didn't hear what I was throwing down. He just thought I was making amazing conversation with a nice man since Mike and I weren't sitting together. He was behind me with Kate. It was a great trip looking back and reflecting. We had a such a great time, even if I dissed on the other park for a few minutes. I truly mean it. Awesome times. Awesome.
 

No comments: